Sunday, May 4, 2008

May Asthma & Allergy Awareness Month

I got an email from The Asthma and Allergy Foundation of America http://www.aafa.org/ letting me know that May is Asthma and Allergy Awareness Month. This was pretty exciting news for me, since allergies plague me all year round and are part of the reason I formulated Skin Free Skincare products.

I became even more interested when I saw that the AAFA has another site http://www.asthmaandallergyfriendly.com/ where they actually certify companies as Asthma and Allergy Friendly. I thought this would be a great opportunity to share Skin Free products with those with asthma and allergies stimulated by fragrances.

Unfortunately, fragrance allergies are not even considered by the AAFA on this site. I think this is a huge oversite. There are thousands of people (like me!) who get severe reactions to various perfume and fragrance components. There are times when I can't even walk down the detergent aisle at the grocery store. I avoid most really strong fragrances whenever possible. I've even had to ask folks I work with to refrain from wearing certain perfumes. I know I'm not alone!!

I wrote to the AAFA and asked them to include skincare products in their certification program. They responded politely and said they would consider it. If you have severe fragrance allergies, please consider emailing them and making the same request.

More on fragrance allergies soon! Best to all, Julie

No comments: