Friday, March 14, 2008

"HELP!!! There are big white lumps in my Balm"

K.F. wrote to me recently, "I love your products and have given up all other lotions and use your balms exclusively. The last time I ordered the super moisure body balm it was full of little white beads of something.they will eventually melt if I rub them long enough in my hands, but it makes applying the balm more difficult.Is this normal for the product? The first time I bought this, it was liquid enough to come through the flip top.But now I have to remove the cap and squeeze it out."

The most frequently asked question about the Skin Free (R) Skin Care products is why does the Balm "clump", "lump", or "separate" (depending on the user's perception). The Super Moisture Body Balm was formulated to be as close to a cream or lotion as you can get without using water. From time to time, that formulation does get into trouble.

If you think about 100% natural peanut butter, I'm sure that you have opened a bottle that has separated. The Balm is very similar in that it is made of 100% natural oils and butters. Exposure to extremes in temperature cause changes in the texture and consistency of the Balm. The shea butter will actually "crystalize out" and form the "beads" that KF was describing.

In order to get rid of the beads, you can do the following:

1) Remove the cap of the Balm

2) Place it in the microwave and heat for about 1 minute. Times vary from microwave to microwave. You want the Balm to liquify and the "beads" of shea to melt, but don't add too much heat.

3) Shake well. Your Balm will return to it's original consistency as it cools to room temperature.

Some of my clients tell me that in heating the Balm they have discovered a wonderful spa-like treatment for their dry skin. Think about that for a moment!

Now that Spring is right around the corner, I bet your legs and arms need a really great spa treatment to get ready for short sleeves and shorts. I recommend using a good exfoliating product like our Sweet and Smooth Sugar Scrub or even St Ives Apricot Scrub. Follow that up with a couple of warm Balm applications over a period of days and you should have really silky skin!

No comments: